- Analysing and comparing structures of different fiction genres.
- Writing non-fiction in the form of recount of events, instructions, explanations and factual presentations.
- Developing an active attitude towards reading, seeking answers and empathising with characters.
- Discussing, proof-reading and editing writing for clarity and correctness.
- Studying and using the basic conventions of standard English, including spelling strategies, vocabulary extension and grammatical awareness
Maths / Numeracy
- Reading and writing whole numbers.
- Multiplying and dividing positive integers up to 10,000.
- Estimating and approximating.
- Using fraction and decimal notation to two decimal places.
- Calculating mentally, using tables, doubling and halving.
- Problem solving through calculating, investigating using all four operations and explaining methods and reasoning.
- Organising and interpreting data in tables, charts and graphs, including computer generated tables.
- Finding modes.
- Using, reading and writing metric units including time.
- Understanding area and formula, including calculating perimeters.
- Recognising and classifying properties of 2D and 3D shapes, and lines of symmetry.
- Recognising positions and directions, including co-ordinates.
- Understanding and using angle measure in degrees.
Geography, the topic areas covered in Geography in Year 5 are:
- Tropical Rain Forests
History, we concentrate on one period, The Tudors.
I.C.T. The topic areas covered in I.C.T in Year 5 are:
- Developing presentational skills through word processing using a wide range of presentational tools.
- Graphical modelling using a range of drawing software.
- Collecting data using questionnaires
- Designing branching databases.
- Internet based research which is linked to a cross curricular theme.
- Introduction to e-mails.
P.H.S.E. The topic areas covered in P.S.H.E. in Year 5 are:
- Respecting other people
- The environment
- Diversity of cultures
Science, the topic areas covered in Science in Year 5 are:
- Healthy Living
- Life Cycles and Food Chains
- Animal Classification
- Solids, liquids and gases
- The Solar System
St Anthony´s College, Camino de Coin,
Km. 5,25 Mijas Costa – Málaga.