Literacy in year 3, the skills are wide ranging and encourge pupils to:
- To use correct sentence structures.
- To develop the use of punctuation and the use of commas to separate phrases and clauses.
- To understand and be able to use paragraphing correctly.
- To use synonyms, spelling patterns, prefixes and suffixes.
- To understand and use dialogue.
- To understand and use a wide range of genres including: play scripts, themed poetry – classic and modern, newspaper reports, non-chronological reports, book reviews, creative writing skills and instructions.
We develop these skills further through our studies in Art, Geography, History, I.C.T., Music, P.H.S.E. and Science.
Geography, the topic areas covered in Geography in Year 4 are:
- Village settlements
- Improving the environment
- How we spend our leisure time
- World map and mapping skills
- The British Isles
- Life in India
In History we concentrate on two periods. The British Empire, Queen Victoria and Ancient Egypt.
I.C.T, the topic areas covered in I.C.T in Year 4 are:
- Saving and retrieving information
- Developing presentational skills through word processing
- Using a range of imaging effectively including Word Art and Clip Art and drawing tools.
- Using graphical imaging through Paint.
- Using the internet to support project work.
P.H.S.E. The topic areas covered in P.S.H.E. in Year 4 are:
- Team work
Science, the topic areas covered in Science in Year 4 are:
- 4A Moving and Growing – skeletons, muscles, bone location
- 4B Habitats – data gathering, protection of the environment and other habitats
- 4C Keeping Warm – measuring temperatures, thermal insulators
- 4D Solids and liquids – classifying materials, changing solids to liquids, filtering,liquids, dissolving
- 4E Friction – reducing friction, lubricants, streamlining, parachutes
- 4F Electrical Circuits and Conductors – circuits, conductors, insulators, switches
Mathematics / Numeracy, the skills include:
- Multiplication and division.
- Telling the time.
- Charts and graphs
- To know all the multiplication tables.
- Facts including place value; add, subtract, times and multiply; all tables facts; properties of number; fraction and decimals
- 2D and 3D shapes, symmetry, angles
- Time sorting diagrams, data handling
- Position measuring – capacity, weight, length, perimeter, area
- Understanding and using angle measure in degrees.
St Anthony´s College, Camino de Coin,
Km. 5,25 Mijas Costa – Málaga.